Saturday, January 23, 2010

Yummy!


A few people have asked me to start putting my recipes up so they can try making them! :o))) I always let my son cook with me, my daughter isn't quite old enough to help, but she sits in her high chair with a snack & watches, while Kyler & I were making the topping to our Dutch Apple Pie she started copying with her banana (see picture above)...that was a fun mess! Kyler loves cooking & I love teaching him, he has also been learning about safety in the kitchen...that's been exciting! *insert excited face here* My hope is that one day when I'm old & can't cook, he will be a fantastic one & would LOVE to cook for his Mommy (& Daddy), & I'm sure it's an ability that a future wife will appreciate as well! :o))) Before you start cooking, always read your ENTIRE recipe first so you understand what your doing before you even start & keep your kitchen clean as you go, it saves you from having loads of dishes after your done cooking or baking. ;o)))

Vegetable Quiche
Ingredients:
9 inch frozen pie crust (usually come 2 in a package - I have another recipe for you, for the second one :o)))
5 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 onion
1 yellow pepper
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 cup spinach
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
salt
pepper
butter (I personally use Smart Balance)
(You can easily add turkey, ham, bacon or any meat of your choice)

Preheat oven to 400°F. In non-stick skillet sauté sliced onion in about 1 tbsp. of butter. While your onions are sautéing, in medium size bowl beat eggs, add in milk, sliced peppers, 1 cup of cheese, salt & pepper to taste (don't put too much, you can always add more before you eat), you can also add a meat of your choice. Add in sautéd onions when they are done cooking. Pour mixture into pie crust. Bake for 40 minutes or until firm & egg is cooked thoroughly. Top with 1 cup of left over cheese & let melt. Cut & serve.

Dutch Apple Pie


Ingredients:
9 inch pie crust
6 medium apples (I use Fuji, if your going to use ones that are sour like Granny Smith I wouldn't use lemon juice)
4 tbsp lemon juice

Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup flour
2 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick butter (or 1/2 cup)

Preheat oven to 375°F. Place peeled & sliced apples & lemon juice in a bowl, mix well. In another bowl mix brown sugar, sugar, flour, cinnamon, & salt. Melt butter & slowly pour it into mixture, using your fingers to mix. You do not want your mixture to be like cookie dough, it needs to be crumbly. You can always add a little more flour if it is too stitcky. Add 1/3 of mixture to the apples & mix to coat. Place apple mixture into pie crust. Evenly sprinkle the rest of the struesel crumbs on top of apples, fill in any empty spaces between apples with topping. Put foil around crust, bake at 375°F for 40 minutes, remove foil & bake for additional 20 minutes. Let cook, cut & serve!

I hope it turns out fantastic...ENJOY!!!


No comments: